Who We Are
The Nittany Lion Inn is a Penn State landmark, rich in history and tradition and a proud member of the National Trust Historic Hotels of America. The Inn has witnessed many changes since it was built in 1931. What hasn’t changed, though, is our commitment to your comfort. As Penn State’s only on-campus hotel, the Inn serves as a travelers’ haven as well as a popular gathering place for Penn State alumni. In fact, Penn State’s twelfth president, Eric Walker, called the Inn “Penn State’s Living Room” because of its comfortable and welcoming environment.
Where We Are
Nestled in the northwest corner of the beautiful Penn State University Park Campus, in the center of Pennsylvania, the Nittany Lion Inn is accessible by all major highways: 90 miles from Harrisburg and Harrisburg International Airport and five miles from University Park Airport, State College.
The Colonial-style Nittany Lion Inn is one of the state’s premier leisure, meeting, and conference facilities. We offer 223 guest rooms, including handicapped-accessible rooms; five executive suites; and free high-speed Internet access. All rooms are smoke free. The Inn offers conference and meeting facilities in conjunction with The Penn Stater Conference Center Hotel.
We are proud to hold the prestigious AAA Four Diamond Rating since 2011. The AAA Four Diamond Rating is assigned to lodgings that feature upscale accommodations and offer an extensive array of amenities combined with a high degree of hospitality, service, and attention to detail. We work hard to maintain this status so that you, our guest, can expect a quality experience—from the Inn’s physical surroundings and amenities to personalized service.
We offer two on-site restaurants:
The Dining Room, open for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, features signature American dishes, such as our famous crab cakes, and a full bar. Our wine list is a Wine Spectator Award of Excellence winner.
For casual dining, visit Whiskers restaurant, which features delectable favorites like lobster bisque and juicy burgers. Whiskers includes a full bar and dining for afternoon and evening meals.
When you are our guest, your comfort is our top priority. Let us know if there’s anything we can do to make your stay more comfortable.
Here are some of the amenities you’ll find at the Inn:
- Bell services
- Airport shuttle
- Free parking
- Valet services such as dry cleaning
- Nearby car rental
- Room service
- Extensive banquet and meeting facilities
- Meeting and event planning specialists
- Free high-speed Internet access
- Fax and copy services
- Gift shop with lots of Penn State memorabilia
- Fitness room with Jacuzzi
- Guest library
- Gazebo courtyard
Recreation and Leisure
At the Nittany Lion Inn, you’re surrounded by the beautiful Penn State campus and just minutes away from a wide array of R&R activities. Here are a few options for you to consider:
- Enjoy a round of golf on the Penn State golf courses. Choose among our PGA-rated Blue and White courses and the nearby Toftrees championship PGA golf course.
- Get reacquainted with favorite Penn State landmarks—or experience them for the first time! Take a stroll over to the Nittany Lion Shrine for a photo op, and visit the nearby Pasquerilla Spiritual Center. Soak in Penn State history while admiring the Land-Grant Frescoes in Old Main. And don’t forget the Berkey Creamery across campus. It’s worth the walk!
- Do some shopping or dining in downtown State College, within walking distance of the Inn.
- Penn State’s Stone Valley Recreation Area, just 17 miles away, offers the 72-acre Lake Perez for boating, fishing, and ice-skating, as well as 29 miles of trails for hiking and cross-country skiing. Enjoy a leisurely picnic and a stroll through the woods. Groups can take advantage of Stone Valley Vertical Adventures, a high-adventure course focusing on team-building and featuring plenty of fun challenges in a beautiful, natural environment.
- Visit other nearby recreational areas for skiing, boating, and world-class fly fishing.
- Take in your choice of six museums on campus, including The Palmer Museum of Art. This free-admission museum offers an ever-changing array of exhibitions and displays of its permanent collection. With eleven galleries, 150-seat auditorium, and outdoor sculpture garden, the Palmer Museum is a unique cultural resource not to be missed.
- Take in a show at the Bryce Jordan Center or one of two on-campus performing arts theaters: Eisenhower Auditorium, with a seating capacity of 2,500, is Penn State's primary theatrical performance space. The more intimate Schwab Auditorium houses a proscenium stage and a 900-seat, Renaissance-style seating area.